Question
Posted by: Piles? | 2008/07/13

Nav

Evening Cyberdoc,
A few months ago i passed stools with blood in them, i went to go see my doctor and he suggested that it may be piles, his prescription of meds helped alot and i havent had much problem til now, for a week or so its been very painful when i pass stools and i notice abit of blood on the tissue and in the toilet bowel. what i need to know is; if it doesn't get any better what do you recommend i do, my doctor mentioned that they may be removed surgically?
Thanks alot,
Nav

Hi Nav
This is correct, piles can be removed surgically - but often just treating this when it happens is also good enough if it does not happen too often. You must prevent constipation by drinking enough water and by eating high fibre foods.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2008/07/14

Haemorrhoidectomies (removal of piles) are, some surgeons believe, not always a solution, as the problem can still return. I have exactly the same problem and get extremely distressed with the condition when it flares up and gets swollen. I use Proctosedyl suppositories, which work wonders because they relieve the pain, swelling and discomfort and work almost straight away and stop the bleeding. I find the suppositories far easier to use than the ointment, as they are easier to insert.

In any case the surgery is extremely painful and, in my opinion, if the problem has a good chance of coming back, why go through that unnecessary pain when you can manage the condition with good, effective medication! Thats my opinion anyway!

Reply to anxious