Question
Posted by: Getting there | 2005/06/07

nauseas while exercising

I am new with the eating healthy and exercisng thing. I have joined sureslim 6 weeks ago and bought a AB King Pro. I have lost 6 kg and 28cm so far. I have been doing exercises in the morning and evening. Last week I was struck down with flu and did no excersises. I startet yesterday morning again. I get so nauseas, I haven't experienced this before. On the ab king pro, I do 160 sit-ups in the morning and 160 sit-ups in the evening, before the flue it was easy, no problem. Now I only get to do 30 at atime and I feel so nauseas and sick. Is it maybe becasue the flu is still in me, did I get lazy and unfit in the week not doing exercises? Do I carry on and take it slow or do I leave it all together untill the flu is completely out of my system? Thanks for your advice and any other tips you have with this issue.

I think that making decisions or even forming opinions having just come off the flu is very risky - your body is going to react badly to the break, and the fact that you are now in recovery from the illness. Even though you may feel a lot better during the day, you will still take a while to get back to the levels before. I would honestly not worry too much about it. Apart from being frustrating, and discouraging, which I can totally understand, it's not the end of the world. And perhaps the flu is a good thing - maybe your body needed the break. Everyone can do with a rest now and again, and so I do think that you should just allow this phase to pass, you haven't lost all of your fitness suddenly and in time you will get back to where you were. It will of course take some time, and you can't just expect to get back in at the same level. However, I think that a week of very easy exercise is the place to start, then next week, go up to about 80% of what you normally do and then after that, it's back to normal. Just don't overdo it!