Question
Posted by: TC | 2007/02/23

Nauseas after running

I am a road runner. After completing races of 21km & further, I feel terribly nauseas & get a burning sensation in my stomach. This feeling of nauseasness continues for the entire day. What can be the cause of this?

Hi TC

Difficult one - it's not uncommon, many people actually have the same thing, but it's very difficult to figure what the cause is. one theory is that it is metabolites that are produced as a result of the exertion, which would explain why it happens after races, and long runs. There's not a whole lot you can do about that though, because it's most likely related to over-exertion. The other possibility is that it's caused by changes in your body's blood glucose levels - is it possible that you are exerting yourself, running out of energy and then seeing these wild fluctuations in blood sugar for the rest of the day? It doesn't explain the stomach burning though. The final possibility is that it may be related to gastric acid reflux, or a type of heart burn/indigestion caused by the running for a long time. You'd have to take your pick of which it is, because that's difficult to say, but what does happen during running is that your body sends all the blood to parts of the body where it's needed, like the legs, and not much stays in the digestive system. If you then eat something (or perhaps haven't eaten for ages), then it can cause indigestion and stomach problems, and that's quite easy to relate to nausea. So my advice is to play around with the food you eat and see if maybe eating a little closer to the race stops this. Or, if you are already eating before you run, try to avoid it and see what happens.