Posted by: Sckyler | 2008/06/10

Nausea & other unexplained problems

Good day, I am concerned about a number of things.

I have been slightly nauseas daily on and off going on to my third week now (not pregnant as I am not sexually active).

HISTORY: This Friday 6 June, I did 2 sessions of cardio (45min and 30min consecutively) and after the last session I had to lie in the bathroom for 30 - 45min as I was extremely lightheaded, very nauseas and also feeling very weak, had to call a friend to pick me up from gym as I couldn’t get up to shower nor drive. Thought it was because of low iron as I have started my period that afternoon (heavy bleeding) and as I haven’t done 2 gym sessions before on my first day of period. At home I ate two handful of raisins and felt better after 2 hours.

On Saturday 7 June, I went to gym again, but took it slow for 30min cardio and 45min weights, but once again felt very light headed, I had a full breakfast and took my blood pressure at gym, but all was normal.

Sunday 8 June, I continued feeling very weak and sleepy, blood pressure once again normal. Today I also started experiencing stomach cramps.

Monday 9 June, left work early to go home and sleep but couldn’t get much sleeping in so decided to do 30min slow cardio on the stepper at gym. As I exercise with a heart rate monitor I always keep an eye on my hear rate as to ensure I am not over exercising or that I am sick, but my hear rate jumped from 135 to sometimes 155 to sometimes 125 within seconds, but I felt fine, although I felt a slight tension/cramping under my left arm. I also continued feeling the stomach cramps.

OVERALL: I eat a balanced controlled diet from a dietician for 3 months now and have been gymming constantly for 4 months now (3-5 times a week). I also drink 2liters of water a day. I have heavy regular extremely painful period, for which I have to take prescribed medication for. A good couple of years ago I had IBS & spastic colon for which I took Bevespas tablets.

Could you give me a possible explanation to my nausea, tiredness and heart rate, although most of the time I’m feeling fine and my heart rate tells me I am not sick. I also went to test my blood for iron on Monday, but what can be wrong if my iron is fine?

Dear Sckyler
This could be signs of low blood sugar, or due to a heart arrythmia. I would suggest that you do a fasting blood sugar, fasting insulin as well as ECG test. Have you seen a gyne regarding the painful periods? It sometimes helps to dilate the servix under short anaesthetic if everything else is normal.