Question
Posted by: Marra | 2004/01/12

Nausea Feeling

Why do I get that nauseous feeling when I’m unfit and gym to get fit? I go to gym in the mornings. I don't eat before I gym because the gym program say you burn more fat like that! I know that feeling goes away after a couple of weeks of training.
Marra

Hi Marra

The nausea you describe is very common - you are not the only one to experience. And honestly, I have to say that I don't know the exact cause of this. It was once thought that it was because you build up acid in the blood, but this has been proven incorrect. Really, it's just a reflex that has origins in the brain stem (to be technical), and is probably due to a combination of things - part of it is struggling to breathe, part is mucous build up, and congestion, possibly the rapid movement of air as you breathe at high volumes. As you point out, this goes away, because you get fitter. In elite athletes, this feeling comes back when they do really hard training sessions. The point is that it seems to be a function of how hard the training is, relative to your ability. As you get fitter, the relative training intensity is lower, and you feel less nauseous. So, if it's any consolation, just hang in there, or reduce the exercise intensity, and it will get better!