Question
Posted by: modmom | 2003/03/23

Nausea after exercise

I am training for my first half marathon in April. I find now though that after I have run, whether it is immediately or a couple of hours after the run, I start to have episodes of dizziness accompanied by nausea, hot flushes & shakiness. I eat before I run, drink a lot of water (in excess of 3 litres per day) & I eat again after the run. Is this a fitness thing or what? How can I minimise this discomfort?

Dear Modmom

You may consider first reviewing your training up until now. Is this the first time you have experienced these symptoms. If yes, look at the potential reasons for the sudden change in feelings: sudden increase mileage, speed or general intensity.

Another cause of the symptoms you are experiencing post run could be that of a condition cased from overhydration - hyponutremia. You say you are drinking in excess of 3 litres of water per day. This amount of water intake will cause increased amounts of sweating and usage of the toilet. As a result you will lose increasing amounts of electrolytes more specifically sodium. These need to be replaced. My suggestions is to reduce the amount of water you are drinking, replace some of the water with electrolyte solutions and to increase your intake of salt.

If this does not remedy your symptoms I recommend consulting with a sports medicine physician.

1
Posted by: Batz | 2003/03/23

Modmom, make sure you are not taking any ephadrine fat burners - most athelets use these to help boost their energy. Also try eating at least 3 hours before you run, otherwise Id suggest visiting your doc

Reply to Batz