Question
Posted by: Too much heart | 2006/04/11

Naturl Remedies for High Blood Pressure/ Hypertension

Hi. I am 28 and have high blood pressure. I am into holistic medicines and was wondering if there were any natural remedies for high blood pressure. I am currently taking garlic and I have heard that vinegar helps. Is that true?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Too Much Heart,

I need to now how high your BP actually is, before I can really advise you. Normal BP – that which cardiologists aim for with treatment – is 120/80. If your reading is more than 10 units above those figures, then you will need more conventional treatment. If your BP is only marginally raised, and you have no other significant factors at play, like smoking, obesity, diabetes, family history of heart problems, raised cholesterol, then you may get away with using “holistic” or “alternative” remedies. But if you have significant hypertension problem, then I’m afraid that “natural” remedies will not be successful in preventing the complications of hypertension, namely heart attack, stroke or sudden death. This is not meant to scare you, but is just straight talk.

Garlic does nothing to blood pressure. It does help to make the blood less clottable, so acts a bit like aspirin in this sense. Vinegar has never been proven to do anything to blood pressure.

Please do not avoid conventional treatment if you do have a BP problem. It is for a very good reason that hypertension is called the silent killer. Because one feels no pain or discomfort in the presence of even significant hypertension, one tends to minimise the importance of it, until something drastic happens, and then it is usually too late.

Good luck.

HeartDoc