Question
Posted by: Cheetah | 2007/12/12

Naturally Thin

I am 43 years old, 1.67 tall and my weight fluctuates between 52 & 54 kg's (since forever). I have three children, all caesarian births (eldest is 18). Athletic build with very small hips (sz 6 pants and 8 top). Now my problem is that (since forever) I have been told that I am too skinny and should pick up weight. I don't diet, don't exercise anymore (although I'm very active). Had a thyroidectomy a year ago, no change to my weight. I eat enough - small portions throughout the day- but healthy, no sweets, biscuits or junk food. I never starve myself. I am very healthy and energetic. How does one pick up weight purposely (without junk food) and keep your frame proportionate. I am serious!

Dear Cheetah
Even when you weigh 54 kg, your BMI = 19,4 which is too low, so it would be a good idea to try and gain some weight. For example for an ideal BMI of 22, you would need to weigh 61 kg. I have written some articles on the subject of gaining weight. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.