Question
Posted by: Wayne | 2004/02/19

Natural/Homeopathic alternative to Cilift

I haven't been on Cilift for too long now but have come to the conclusion that the side effects (fatigue, nausea, weight loss, just to name a few...) & the lack of improvement in my mental state are not worth it. Is there a natural alternative that is easier on my system??

Wayne, the sad truth is that there is ABSOLUTELY NO "natural" antidepressant whatsoever, and any claims to the contrary are quackery. Some "natural" remedies offered, like St John's Wort, which can help in really mild depressions, work in exactly the same primary way as does Prozac, anyway. From what we know of the chemistry of Depression, it is highly likely that if any "natural" or herbal product DID benefit Depression, it would probably have to do so in the same way as the antidepressant drugs, and with the same side-effects, with the disadvantage of being a far less chemically clean product, due to the presence of many other unknown and not yet understood chemicals, as well as whatever was helping.
It is quite common that side-effects are worst in the first few weeks on any drug, while it can take a month or more to develop the benefits one wants.
kasandra's experience here4 is highly relevant. and the pleasant methods she describes are genuinely alternatives, and may help. Also, she is using the one other method that has been proved to work, and without side-effects --- a very specific method of psychotherapy calld CBT ( COgnitive-behaviour Therapy) --- it is the ONLY variety of psychotherapy / counselling proved to have similar scale of benefits to antidepressants. So, if you can find a local shrink who is skilled at using CBT, that would be an effective alternative to try.
And Casper --- buzz off, and stop peddling your own quack remedies on this sight
FOLKS --- I advise everyone to ignore the postings of Casper ( and the other false names he uses ) touting secret remedies --- NEVER send him your email or other contact details, as someone who behaves like this cannot be trusted. Hmm, a "reputable" organization ? In their own opnion, of course. And so reputable that you can't dare to give their proper name ? Around for 30 years ? Sounds like Scientology to me --- no evidence that their quack remedies work any better than anyone else's quack remedies. Casper --- go and play somewhere else and stop bothering these good people.

4
Posted by: Casper | 2004/02/20

Wayne, sorry I didnt phrase my message very well, I dont mean that I personally am going to help you, but I am able to recommend and put you onto a very reputable organisation who have centres nationally and who have been in operation for over 30 years. They will help you.

Reply to Casper
Posted by: Kasandra | 2004/02/19

Casper you are defnitly not the friendly ghost.....

how does the saying go: wolf in sheep clothes.........

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: Casper | 2004/02/19

Well done in opting for a more natural solution. You are right, the side effects (which are always negative) are not worth it in the long run. The damage to one's body is more serious than we are led to believe. I would like to help you come off, stay off and feel great at the same time! How can I contact you?

Reply to Casper
Posted by: Kasandra | 2004/02/19

Wayne

What ever you do dont just stop taking your cilift .........

Very important information you didnt mention is how long you already been on cilift i also went on it and for the first month i hardly thought it did anything i had all the side effects and trust me i hate anti depresants but i must admit it does help in the long run you must just be on it for awhile......

Remember the pill is also not just a quick fix just something to help balance you you have to do some work yourself ..

I am off my cilift now and what works for me is i take 3 drops of lavender, rosemary and camomile aromatherapy oil mixed with a bit of sunflower oil and add that to my bath water or i take the same mixture and massage my whole body with it
i dont know if this would help for you but it did help for me something else to consider is keeping a daily food journal for food also play an important part in how you feel and state of mind lavender helps for stress and anxiety and rosemary for mental fatique and concentration camomile has also very calming and smoothing properties.

I also go for CBT therapy twice a month and keep on working to resolve those issues that stand in the way of my happens .. i cant give more advise based on what you said cause i dont know the reason for you taking cilift .

Reply to Kasandra