Question
Posted by: blaze | 2004/01/03

Natural vs CSection / Breast Feeding vs Bottle

Can someone please give me the good and bad about natural birth vs a C Section. I am trying to decide which option would be best and have found no info regarding this. Also should I opt for natural, would I be able to schedule the birth date? What can I expect from natural (i.e enemas, shaving etc). What is the recovery on both like?

With regards to breast feeding, how does a working mom schedule this into her daily life, and therefore, would a formula be a better option?

Purple has given you lots of information. I don't think that I can add anything.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/05

Its quite a personal choice on both issues. You might find that attending ante-natal classes will give you good information to help you make your decisions. The receptionist at your gynae's rooms should be able to recommend somewhere, or you could phone your local hospital and they will either run classes or point you to someone who does. Pregnancy magazines have lists of classes for different areas.

C-section is a major surgery and has a post operative recovery period. Natural birth has a quicker recovery period.
Ante-natal classes would provide you with info on what to expect for both types of births. I think you're given a choice on enemas and shaving for natural birth, but that this depends on your gynae and the hospital.

You can't schedule the exact date of a natural birth.

Regarding breast feeding, working mothers can express breast milk (using a breast pump) and store it (and then feed the breast milk from a bottle). Some bottles claim that their teats simulate what the nipple is like so that the baby is still happy to feed off the breast.

Formula is a second choice, it won't provide your baby with anti-bodies like breast milk does, but has been scientifically researched, so if someone can't breast feed (working mum's who can't express, people who've had breast surgery), then it is available as a substitute.

Not all work places provide place for working mum's to express during the day, and the ladies toilets is not a very hygeinic place for this. Some women find a quiet place in their offices, or if they have their own office just shut the door so they're not disturbed. Negotiate with your employer on this one - you can point out that breast feeding means your baby will get sick less often so you won't need to constantly take time off to take your child to the doctor as you would with formula feeding. You can't be made to work with chemichals or do other types of harmful work if breast feeding (until your baby is 6 months old).

Remember that you get 4 months maternity leave (though your employer is not obliged to pay you during this time, but you can claim from UIF), you can take your maternity leave any time from 4 weeks before your due date, so a working mum is able to exlusively breast feed for 3 or 4 months (depending how long before EDD she took maternity leave), the baby starts eating solids from about 6 months onwards, so although you still give breast milk/formula, this is no longer the baby's exclusive food after you're back at work for 2 or 3 months.

Good luck. Two excellent books are: What to Expect when you're expecting and What to expect in the first year.
Your pregnancy is an excellent magazine, as is Healthy pregnancy. There are also some very good web sites - just do a search.

Reply to Purple