Question
Posted by: Lee | 2004/10/04

Natural VS Ceasaren Birth

Hi Ladies,

I am just in need of some advice. After hearing all the horror stories of vaginal birth as well as c-sections, i would just like to get some advice as i am so confused. Originally i wanted to go natural, (water birth) but am worried that there will be complications etc....Im not really worried about the pain, but just getting baby out saftely. Also if you have a ceaser, how long do you have to wait till you can gym again? Also what are the risks involved in both births?
Advice and experiences of the ladies are much appreciated.

God Bless and Take Care!

There are pros and cons of both modes of delivery. Back to gym is possible in about 6 to 8 weeks.
Have a lengthy discussion with your gynae regarding nthe options.

3
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/05

I had a vaginal birth earlier this year. I don't see what all the horror stories are about. If you are in an active birth unit linked to a hospital and there are complications, the necessary medical attention is right there. If you are in a hopsital, they are very quick to do a c-section (even if it isn't really an emergency).

Most people who try vaginal births end up having c-sections anyway in this country, so don't even worry about it.

If you are determined to have a natural birth, then exercise during pregnancy, sit on a pilates ball in the last trimester, stand up and walk around during labour. These won't guarantee it, but will up your chances.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Jelly | 2004/10/04

Hi lee,

I had a water birth with my first child 7 years ago and am definately going that way again with this one. The pain relief in the water is quite amazing although I did have a small pethidine shot right at the end of the labour. I didnt need any stiches as I had only a small tear - this I'm sure because the water softens the skin.

I'm going to do the water birth again and am looking forward to it and this time I'm determined not to have any drugs.

I'm sure that you will make the right choice for yourself and do not listen to all those "horror" stories! Some women like to scare the socks off pregnant women about how terrible their births were. I have never understood why they do it and honestly the only way to handle it is to ignore it.

Speak to as many people as you can about your options. I have just this morning bought the new Your pregnancy mag and they have the pros and cons with regards to birth options in it so maybe thats worth having a look at.

Good luck with your decisions and enjoy your pregnancy and birth - its an amazing exprience.

Reply to Jelly
Posted by: Nicki | 2004/10/04

I had a vaginal birth (in hospital) 10 years ago and a c-section 6 weeks ago.
If I had the choice (c section was due to placenta problems so no choice) I would do the vaginal birth again. I am struggling to recover from the c-section .... definately not as mobile as I was with the vaginal birth .... just too much pain, swelling .... I am going to attempt gym in the next two weeks ... :)

I know of others who have had great c-sections so this is just my opinion .... I did vaginal with epidural (not big on pain as you may notice) and it was amazing.
Even though I am not a first time mom, I went to antenatal classes which helped a lot with the birth decision ... everyone has stories to tell which can land up confusing you.

Reply to Nicki