Question
Posted by: pregnant | 2004/12/14

natural or caesar?

Hi doctor and moms out there. I am pregnant with my first and I am already starting to stress about child birth. I am very worried about the pain of vaginal birth but on the same hand I am absolutely petrified of the epidural and the "operation" with a caesar. (the cut and stitches etc are making me nauseus just thinking about it). Can you have injections to ease pain with a vaginal birth? I hope I don't sound like a terrible mom to be. I know millions go through with it everyday. Can somebody make some suggestions?

You can have Morphine injections in labour or you could have an epidural, which takes the pain away.

6
Posted by: Annie | 2004/12/15

I had my twins with a c-section and spinal block and even though I don't want more children, I will go through it again with pleasure. I had my twins at 17:00 on the Wednesday afternoon, and the following morning before 7:00 I was up on my feet ready to go see them in ICU. For me, it really wasn't bad. I had internal stitches that resolved on its own, nothing pulling you apart. And the cut is so low, that your pubic hare covers is once grown back. But people differ - from the beginning I joked and said that these two are not coming out if they don't cut them out. I was petrified, and still is, of normal birth. I just felt that I don't need to go through all that if there are other options available.

Just wanted to share my experience. But you still have a choice of many different ways to give birth. Consider each, get as much info as possible and then make your choice. No one else can make that decision for you.

Best of luck and enjoy your pregnancy!

Reply to Annie
Posted by: mabrr | 2004/12/14

hello,

this is my first prag too and before i was prag i used to think of giving birth as death centence , and i told myself i'l never have a baby but the day i realize i was prag i immediatelty stopped thinkin about giving birth. That was only because when people talk about delivery they over exagerate about the pain but 2morrow youll see her again with the 2nd baby

right now I diffinitely want to go for normal birth, i'm 36 weeks and the doctor told me to be ready. i don't know what to expect but i know is not gonna be easy and the pain will always be there as GOD said 'WOMAN YOU ARE GONNA DELIVER CHILDREN WITH PAIN'. That's our punishment after what Adam and Eve dit and i accept it.

Stop thinking about that pain you might be one of those who don't suffer from serious pains.think about what to do to keep your baby healthy and alive.

Good luck.

Reply to mabrr
Posted by: Purple | 2004/12/14

Don't worry too much at this stage of your pregnancy. By the time the birth is around the corner, you are so ready for it and can't wait for it to happen.

I was also petrified of natural birth, but was determined to give it a try. I ended up having an epidural, as the hospital midwife was an idiot and kept trying to lie me down which incrases the pain - arguing with her and trying to cope was just too much for me.

After speaking to friends who have had a vaginal birth with a first and a c-section with a second - almost all of them say they want another vaginal birth as the c-section was dreadful aftwards.

Go to good ante-natal classes, take note of the breathing (it helps you focus, doesn't help with pain), take note of all the things you can do to reduce pain - walking around, being upright, going to the toilet often etc), and I would strongly advise hiring a doula. She is a lay person who is with you and hubby through the birth and gives you both emotional support and gives back rubs etc, and will insist you are kept up right etc.

If you have an epidural (vaginal birth) or a spinal block (c-section delivery), they numb you with local anasthetic first. I was more terrified of the epidural than the birth, and when it came down to it I don't know what I was so terrified about.

Just remember that generations of women have given birth - and until about the 1980's without epidurals - and they were fine, and many had more than one child. If it was so awful - nobody would have a second child.

You can have pethidene for pain during a vaginal birth, but it will make you drowsy, might make you nauseus and will make your baby drowsy and can affect his/her breathing (though there is an antidote for this).

I asked to have gas first and if I needed more pain relief then straight to an epidural.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Norma | 2004/12/14

I wanted to go for normal birth but my boy didn't want to help, so I had a c-section, with epudual, usually they will give you spinal block for c-section. The injection is nothing to worry about they do put something on to make that area "dead". If I have another child I will go for planned c-section....

You can ask for an epidural if you want go for normal birth, you don't feel anything, and doc has to tell you when to push.

The cut is not that bad and you really don't feel a thing, and when you hold your baby you forgot all about the pain of the cut...

You could read more on pregnancy dot about dot com.

Good luck and don't worry I was also very worried but I'm still alive...

Reply to Norma
Posted by: Francis | 2004/12/14

normal birth you have a choice of having a epidural when you are in labour that will stop the labour pains. With a c-section you get a spinal block that will stay active about 8 - 16 hours after c-section.

It stays your choice, but labour pains is before and after you don't have any pain - just a little bit uncomfortable for a day or two, but with a c-section no pain before but about 2 - 4 weeks pain afterwards.

i had to have a c-section and it was very painfull for me, but some people choose to have it.

Reply to Francis
Posted by: LA | 2004/12/14

I had my first born 5 mnths ago i to was petrified, but i went with the normal vaginal birth - let me tell you my birth was very painfull because she was a big baby, but at the end of the day it is all worth it it was a great experience for myself and hubby. My husband was there right through her birth and was a great support to.

I would suggest normal birth if there are no complications - beleive me it's all worth it at the end when you holding your baby in your arms.

Hope i was a bit of a help !!

Good luck and look after yourself and your baby.

Reply to LA