Question
Posted by: Shawn | 2008/06/20

Natural bulking

23 days ago I started to bulk. I weighed 95.8 and am now at 97.1. So that's a gain of 1.3 kg over the last 3 weeks or so.
I've had very little increase in bodyfat.

All I did was add 1.2 kg of cooked oats a day spread over 3 snacks. I was thinking of adding a serving of rice a day too. I'm doing this on a budget and trying to do it on real food.

Would you say that my weight gain is good or could I be gaining more? I'm a mesomorph.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Shawn

I think you have done exceptionally well – don’t expect too much too soon as it could end up as fat. However, you can experiment a bit by adding oatbran, rice, quinoa, or sweet potatoes – all good carbs. Be mindful of the portions – meaning to add ½-1 cup measurements three times per day and see what the results are – if ok you can still push it a bit more till you find the tipping point. Usually you can add 15% extra calories to ensure muscle growth. See which of the carbs I mentioned you can source at the best price. You could also contact Nature’s Choice and see if you could buy bulk from them to get it at a wholesale price.

Take care and good luck!
Vanessa