Question
Posted by: Janice | 2003/01/09

Natural antibiotics for Urinary Tract Infection?

Dear Doc,

I have a urinary tract infection. I think I need antibiotics but I'm not on medical aid and I cannot afford to go to the doctor. I've heard that grapefruit seed extract helps clear this infection. Is this true? I've also been to the worldwide health center website where they say that there is something called 'Silver Liquid' which is supposed to be a natural antibiotic. If this is true, is it available in South Africa?

Janice, I have no idea what silver liquid is, but grapefruit seed isn’t strong enough to treat a proper bacterial bladder infection. The best would be to invest a little money and have the urine tested at a laboratory. It will tell you what the cause of the infection is and what you need to take for it. It should then go away and not come back again. If it does, you will have to see an urologist. If you don’t have money you can always go to one of the academic hospitals. Good luck.