Question
Posted by: Update and Advise on New Additions | 2008/01/24

Natasha

Hello all
My new additions (the orphaned kitties from post 444 and 445) are doing well. They are still bottle feeding, and showing no interest in starting to lap on their own.
They both weighed under 200 grams when I got them ( I am not sure of their exact weights as my scale only starts at 200 grams !!). I have had them for just over one week. Last night I weighed them and the bigger one is 325 grams, the smaller one is 250 grams.
Could any of you tell me if their weight gain is normal. They are approx 4 weeks old now.
Their tummies are working well, and they are weeing regularly. I am feeding them the kitty milk formula.

When is the best time to start feeding them a bit of water ?
I would like them to get used to drinking water, but am not sure if I can bottle feed a bit of water between the milk formula feeds, or do I wait until they are older.

Also, when should kittens start lapping on their own ?
My vet told me that there is no reason why they have not started yet ! Am I doing something wrong ?
Before every feed, I put a bit of the formula on my finger, and try to get them to lick it off. No luck. Then I wipe the formula on their lips to see if they lick it off their own lips. Sometimes they do, but not very well at all. It looks more like they are just sticking their tongues out at me !!!
It can't be because they don't like the taste of my finger !!!! as they chew on my fingers at every opportunity (leaving my hands looking like I stuck them in a thorn bush !!........but it's all worth it :-)

Anyway, any advise from those of you that have been through this before would be great :-)
Have a good day

Feeding milk regularly is important. Usually they will begin to drink water on their own when the start eating more solid food. Generally kittens will show interest in solid food from about 3-4 weeks of age. If they have been disadvantaged earlier in life they may take longer to wean. Has your vet examined the kittens recently? They will be able to tell you if their size is within normal expected.

2
Posted by: Carol | 2008/01/24

Hi there ..im not sure what akittens weight should be toi be quite honesy as far as im concerned if they are eating and look healthy with nice fat little tummies they are fine.

I wouldnt bother with extra water until they are eating by themselves .....

And you can start then now .. get some good quality kitten food and soften with hot water ( add a little formula) ..it must be really sloppy... make sure you have plenty of wetwipes/facecloths etc to clean up ... put the warm mixture onto a flat dish on newspaper and gently shove their mouths into the mixture ..... it will take some time but once they get the idea they will be raring to go ..... and also once they are eating reasonably well you can introduce water and a litter tray ... after din dins put them into the tray and let nature take its course.

Have they got teth yet ??? it sounds like it from the way you desribe them chewing on your fingers ....? then its definately time to start solids.

Have fun

my email addy BTW is carolm1 at telkomsa net..... we have been on this forum together for a while and never made friends :)

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Kate | 2008/01/24

Hi Natasha, no advice but just wanted to say Hi.
Send me pics.

Reply to Kate