Question
Posted by: runny nose babe | 2007/04/26

nasal mucus strange appearance

HI DR.

please can you help me with something embarrassing...i have had an ethmoidectomy about a year ago...so, now at least i can get rid of the gunk in my nose when i get allergy and mucus build up....i have noticeda few time when i spit out the mucus that accumulates in my nose, that it is not a clear colour and to my shock and horror, a few times now i have seen quite bright green spots in the mucus....like tiny balls of green concentrated stuff that is inside the mucus that is yellow...and yesterday is was the size of the head of a pin...am just wondering what kind of infection this is...my dr prescribed me an anti biotic, but in the last year i think i must have been on every posiibly one on the market....and i wanted to not have any now, so i have waited with this infection for a month or two without going to the dr, cause i think my body has had too many antibiotics...what could this be? i have read that sometimes the infections in the sinus passages are fungal and that they sometimes do not respont to antibitoitcs. the script is for Augmaxil 1g bd X 10 ...i did not tell my GP about the green spots...

Dear Runny nose babe
Green spots are not neccesarily fungal of origin. When two different colors of common bacteria become mixed (such as yellow Staphylococcus aureus and blue Pseudomonas aeruginosa) the resulting shade is often green. Augmaxil usually works well. What you can add to this is to sniff up salt water and blow it out to wash out excessive mucus and help the antibiotic to work faster ( used boiled cooled down water 1/2 cup, freshly boiled water 1/2 a cup or mix until the temp is comfortable, add only 1/2 teasp salt to 1 cup water and sniff till the water comes out clear)
I also get sinusitis easily - what I do is the saltwater thing and using an immunobooster or echinacea at the first sign of infection - sometimes it prevents the having to take antibiotics thing.