Question
Posted by: Silly Girl | 2003/12/08

Narcotics - Operation

I took recreational drugs this weekend (namely crystal meths and qat). I know that some drugs thin the blood and also affect the clotting at the wound causing excessive bleeding. I am fairly healthy take vitamins and have not been partaking in the drugs excessively or frequently.

I am going for a breast implant on Wednesday and was wondering if this could be a problem or would my body have recovered as far as the thining of the blood, by then.

Is there anything I can take, preferably herbal otherwise pharmaceutical, that may assist getting my body back to normal. I would prefer not to discuss this with the doctor before the operation and would much rather try damage control.

I am very concerned about this (although self inflicted) and would like some advice ASAP.

I was also wanting to know if there is anything I can take to help heal quicker after the operation (I have been advised to take arnica tablets by a friend but the doctor insisted it wouldn't make a difference.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Dear SG

You really should discuss any medication taken, wether recreational or not, with your surgeon so that he has the opportunity of acessing any risk in the procedure he is to perform. Your doctor is a professional person who is obliged to keep confident any thing you might discuss with him regarding your health. Arnica should not be taken before any surgery because of the increased risk of bleeding but may assist by reducing excess swelling afterward.