Posted by: MM | 2009/04/09

Nanny and HIV

Hi some feedback

Yes took her for the test and it showed positive .. also took my baby but still waiting reference doctor on leave only back on 14 stressfull explained to Nanny pros and cons.. she understood .. and she still have to go for TB at hospital for tests..

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear MM
If she does not have TB, the risk of infecting your baby with HIV just by normal day to day contact is extremely low to non existent as HIV is really only transmitted mainly by blood and sex. The important thing is to get her to a HIV clinic where she can start getting preventative treatment for HIV associated infections, and antiviral medication if needed. She also needs to go for regular check-ups. Giving her information so that she knows what to do how to prevent spreading of the disease is crucial. Let her have the flu vaccine if her CD4 count is above 200 to prevent her from getting flu. If possible buy her supplements: a good multivitamin and Moducare - this will boost her immunity and prevent infections. Try to keep her employed as long as possible, often the loss of one family member's income causes extreme poverty in low income households.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: MM | 2009/04/14

Thank you for the links and response I did just that bought her some vitamins and also sat her down printed information from our EAP out and explained to her what it is what might happen and also what her responsibility is towards herself and her family in taking care of herself and them .. also got reference for her to go to the academic hospital for treatment ... I will not let her go ..only when she can not work and by her choice as she is already getting very tired. I have however decided to rather put my child in daycare as he is only 2 years and tends to bite and scratches when he does not get his way... but still waiting for his results ..afterall she is like a mother to us in the house as she is older than my husband and I.

Enjoy the day.

Reply to MM

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.