Question
Posted by: Paul/Paulina | 2007/06/11

name change

Is it legally possible to change my name in my id book? How do I go about it? Where do I apply? How much does it cost? Will it also change in my birth register?

Expert ImageTransgender advisor

It is legally possible to change your name and surname. The procedures and costs given by Tina is how it currently stands.

1
Posted by: Tina | 2007/06/12

Yes, it is possible to change your names (and surname) in your ID book.

Go to your nearest Home Affairs office.
1. Request a form to change your forenames (form BI-85)
(For Surname you need form BI-196)
2. DO NOT apply for a new ID book yet, regardless of what HA officials may suggest. Birth&Registration first need to amend your Birth Certificate and this is a separate department from ID. Documents will get lost, do things one step at a time, saving yourself time and money.
3. Once you have received your Amended Birth Certificate then proceed with applying for a new ID Book.

Don’t be in too much of hurry, the process can take 2-6 months, so be patient.

Cost of name change is around R80 and surname if needed is around R260.
Cost for a new ID will be around R15 and another R15 for a temporary ID.
Also consider the cost for ID photos which may vary depending on where you get ID photos done.

Sadly you are not able to apply for alteration of gender description until you can proof that final gender reassignment surgery has been done.

This means that you will have to re-apply for a gender change and new ID again.

TSW

Reply to Tina