Question
Posted by: Nailbiter | 2004/01/29

Nail biting (Treatment????)

I'm a 43, yes 43 year old lady. I'm a Training Coordinator at a very large Company. I'm a calm, in-charge, well-balanced lady. And yet, I have this enormous problem. "Nail Biting"
Please, please put me on a way to sort it out forever or to get treatment for it. It is SUCH an embarrassing habbit and I am so self-conscious about my beautiful, well-formed hands without nails.

Dear nailbiter,
Yes this can be helped. Like d, some people can stop simply by making an appropriate executive decision and sticking to it. And as J says, a clear and bitter nail polish, making it highly unpleasant to nibble the nails, can help a lot. A psychologist can help with motivation and behaviour therapy. Also, try to find alternative things to do with your hand and mouth at the times when you're most likely to get biting --- at home watching telly --- wear a paid of mittens ! get worry beads or something else to do with your hands ; and nibble low-cal snacks like carrot sticks, when your moth feels tempted to nibble.

2
Posted by: J | 2004/01/29

I've got some clear plish from woolworths. (nail therapy) Believe you me it is BITTER! just the thought of the taste will let you keep your fingers out of your mouth. I've been using it for a few weeks, and it's helping. Try it!

Reply to J
Posted by: d | 2004/01/29

i used2bite my nails,and this may sound like a very simple way of stopping from biting,but i just realised how awful/disgusting it looked. i stopped imidiately after realising that.

Reply to d