Question
Posted by: Inez | 2004/10/04

Mysterious Weight gain-Please help

Hi Doc,

I have been excersing for the past five months and managed to lose 5 kg. I am now puzzled that I have began gaining weight. I exrcise 5x a week alternating 1 hr advanced taebo with 1 hour jogging every other day. I am following a heathly eating lifestyle(high fiber and low fat, i am not doing any fad diets). When I started exersing I weighed 68 kg and managed to go down to 62kg, right now I have gained 2kg! Can you please explain to me why am I mysteriously gaining weight now.By the way i am a female, 1.65m. My target weight is 60 kg.

Hi Inez

I suspect that a lot of your weight that has been gained is muscle mass. This is very common among the forum posters. You often find that people do gain some weight as a result of the toning and developing of muscle that occurs with training, even cardiovascular training (I must mention that one person weighed themselves on a faulty scale once and this was what caused them to think they had gained weight, and so as trivial as it sounds, just be sure that the scale you are using is accurate - perhaps it's best to use 3 scales at the gym and take the average).

Now, if the scale is right and it is true that you have gained muscle, then I would actually not worry about it. The more important question is how do you look and how do you feel. You will be able to tell immediately if you have gained 2 kg of fat, and if you have not, then there is no reason why you should worry. It is an advantage to have more muscle (as long you are not bulky, if that's not a goal), and so don't worry. Finally, I have to mention that your current weight of 64 is still in the normal range - your BMI shows that you are not overweight and so you must also realise that perhaps the body is settling into the natural weight range, and there's not too much you can do healthily, other than to keep training and eating well.