Question
Posted by: Carole | 2008/01/17

Mysemia Gravis

My Dad has Mysemia Gravis and all the meds he has been on are not helping. he is now on Chemo, is Chemo used in the tratement of mystemia?
What eles is there is can try?

Dear Carole
Yes some chemotherapy medications are being used for Myasthenia Gravis. Thymectomy, the surgical removal of the thymus gland (which often is abnormal in myasthenia gravis patients), reduces symptoms in more than 70 percent of patients without thymoma and may cure some individuals, possibly by re-balancing the immune system. Other therapies used to treat myasthenia gravis include plasmapheresis, a procedure in which abnormal antibodies are removed from the blood, and high-dose intravenous immune globulin, which temporarily modifies the immune system and provides the body with normal antibodies from donated blood. These therapies may be used to help individuals during especially difficult periods of weakness. A neurologist will determine which treatment option is best for each individual depending on the severity of the weakness, which muscles are affected
and the individual's age and other associated medical problems.

2
Posted by: agb | 2008/08/11

I have mysthinia gravis and getting married would like to go to
Zanzibar or Mozambique but I need to know about complications in terms of the yellow fever injection and the maleria pills?

Reply to agb
Posted by: Cibella | 2008/02/19

I am an MGer - diagnosed in 1995. There are other meds too: Mestinon (a friend only took this and went in remission after a while), Chortisone (horrible stuff - mostly to assist until immune suppressants kick in) and immune suppressants. I hope your dad is being monitored by a good neurologist. I go to one at Grootte Schuur hospital in Cpt.

Reply to Cibella