Question
Posted by: Alf | 2008/01/08

Myoplex and training

Hi.
I started training 6 weeks ago but have only lost 3kg so far in the first 2 weeks and nothing for the last 2 weeks. I weighed 100kg and is 1.78m (female). We go to the gym 6 times per week (3 times with personal trainer) and I have gone to the dieticien who gave me low GI diet plan. We train on average 30min and my heartrate is between 125 and 145 when we train. But the kg's just won't shift. Getting very discouraged. Want to fall pregnant and need to loose 20kg. We excercise 8pm and I struggle to eat afterwards. Should I maybe rather drink a Myoplex Lite shake after the workout as we only get home 9pm and go to be 11pm?
Please help!

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Alf

Hang in there – we ill get to the bottom of the problem!

Firstly determine how many calories you are consuming – according to my calculations you should need about 2200 calories for a weight of 80kg, but you can cut your calories as low as 1200 per day for quicker results. Make sure that you divide these calories into six meals per day with a ratio of 50-60% carbs, 15-25% protein, and 20% fat or as per the Body For Life recommendation which is a 40 – 40 -20 split. Mostly consume low GI carbohydrates and use higher GI carbs during and after training to refuel you stores. Read food labels to supply you with the necessary nutrition information to be able to perform the calculations and visit the GI foundations of SA’s website www.gifoundation.com for more info on the glycemic index of foods. And I do think the shake after training in the evening is a great idea.

However, if you still do not present with any results you will have to go for some bloodtests. If you seldom feel hungry or don’t wake up in the morning feeling hungry it is a possilbe indication of an insulin / glucose problem. Alternatively it might even be a thyroid dysfunction? Ask your doctor to perform the following blood tests: Fasting glucose and fasting insulin, TSH, T3, T4, thyroid anti-bodies, estrogen, DHEA, & testosterone. We need to make sure that these hormones are balanced as they could be responsible for a lack of weight loss.
Good luck and let me know how things go.

Take care.
Vanessa