Question
Posted by: Mary | 2006/04/21

Myomectomy

Dear Fertiity Expert,

I Had a myomectomy on 3 April 2006, My period also started on that day, I had two myomes on top of my uterus on the right and left hand side, the fallopian tube on the right hand side was damaged, my Gynae was'nt too clear whether it was the myome or the fact that he battled to remove the myome that caused the damage, but either way it's damaged. According to my calculations, (my cycles have been 28 days for almost two years now, so very regular) I will ovulate on the 15th of May which is exactly 6 weeks after my op, would you recommend that we try imediately to fall pregnant, or should I wait for another cycle?

How are my chances of falling pregnant now that I only have my left hand tube? I was pregnant exactly a year ago but lost the baby at 9 weeks, I'm assuming because of these myomes.

I appreciate all your advice so far!

Dear Mary

The mere fact that there is obstruction to one of the fallopian tubes, it will reduce your chances of conception by approximately 50%.
Conception would be most likely to occur only if ovulation is occurring on the left hand side. However, to improve your chances, ovulation induction by means of tablets or a combination of tablets and injections would be recommended. This will allow both ovaries to function simultaneously and therefore improve the chances of conception each time significantly.
I would suggest that you allow at least another normal menstrual cycle to pass first before considering ovulation induction or any form of conception.