Question
Posted by: Beetle | 2005/07/12

" My water has broken"

When we talk about this water breaking just how much is there? Can u get away with it when you are in public? I imagine this thing happening at the mall or somewhere like that. How long do you have before the baby actually comes?

It varies from a few drops to a gush. The time to when the baby comes also varies. 80% of labours will start within 24 hours of the waters breaking.

10
Posted by: Kym | 2005/07/12

I was lucky my waters broke at home. But there was a lot. My gynae says that I had more than normal when I had my check-up the day before.

It felt like I really needed to go to the toilet (sorry for being so graphic) and it was all one go. No leaking or anything.

Hope this helps

Reply to Kym
Posted by: CC1 | 2005/07/12

My water never broke as I had an emercency C-section but during antenatal classes the midwife said to carry one of your baby's nappies in your bag at all times in case your water breaks whilst you are not at home, apparently this is the best thing to use to avoid "embarassing" leaks.

PARIS - I almost choked on my tea! cough, cough!!

Reply to CC1
Posted by: Nuffing | 2005/07/12

It is actually fairly unusual for the waters breaking to be the first sign of labour, it usually happens when you are well into labour, and often the waters are manually broken... I would have loved to have felt my waters break naturally, but my babies heads never enganged until well into labour and until after my waters were ruptured (AROM).

In my case there was loads (as it could all get around the head) and was like a gushing tap.
You don;t have to RUSH to the hospital if your waters break, but do becareful not to allow any infection to get in. Do not bath after your waters break - you can still shower though and it's a good idea to do so before going into the hospital.

My labours progressed quite quickly after my membranes were ruptured, and my boys were born within 3-4 hours or so after, each time...

Reply to Nuffing
Posted by: Tina | 2005/07/12

Oh, lovely PARIS! Blaaagggggh! Just kidding... :-)

The reason to get to hospital asap is because the water normally protects the baby from infection - because there's no water obviously it's more prone to infection now.

Reply to Tina
Posted by: PARIS | 2005/07/12

Cool, i'll use my ''water'' to make my boss his next cuppa tea... ha ha ha...

PARIS
XXX

Reply to PARIS
Posted by: Norma | 2005/07/12

When my water broke I could feel it, everything gets "wet and warm", but the "water" did not run down my legs. Also mine come out just a little at a time for about half an hour. But ja, if I was in a mall my clothes would have been wet (I was in hospital already).

When your water broke you have to get to the hospital asap, it could be minutes but also hours before your baby is born...

Good luck and relax you will know you are in labour before you water brakes.

Reply to Norma
Posted by: Lee | 2005/07/12

I dont think it is embarrassing, its about a litre in total but i dont think it all comes out at once!

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Tina | 2005/07/12

The amount of water depends on whether the baby's head has engaged. I had to induce labour because my son didn't move down so when they broke my water there was alot - probably about 1 litre? (I think - it felt like SO much) :-)

But if your baby has already started moving down then the amount of water becomes less and less.

It doesn't have to be embarrasing. Think of it this way: If it breaks it means baby is coming and you'll get to meet this little precious life you created!

:-)

Reply to Tina
Posted by: Beetle | 2005/07/12

Is it embarrasing? Just how much is it (e.g. app a litre or 2)

Reply to Beetle
Posted by: Lee | 2005/07/12

Hi there,

Some peoples water trickles out and some will come with a gush. You will definately notice it. Once your water has broken you must get to the hospital asap.

Reply to Lee