Question
Posted by: Jess | 2008/01/04

My toes, my toes!

Hi Ross,

Hope you are well and that you enjoyed a spectacular festive season. Best wishes for 2008!

I have a recurring toe problem caused by running. It's always the big toes. Lost the left foot's toenail which has been growing back nicely since I replaced my running shoes with ones that fit better. Did some hills on my last 3 runs and on the descent I must be banging my toes because both are bruised and painful. The right foot's toe is still black from a race in October. It's growing out, but not falling off. I just bought a pair of trail running shoes as well so that I didn't mess up the road running shoes which may in turn bugger up my toes again. What am I not doing right? Should I wrap these babies? I use thin cotton running socks. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jess

Hi Jess

Thanks a lot for the wishes, same to you.

Your problem is a classic shoe-related one. Perhaps your shoes are too narrow in the front - happens quite often because women tend to have wider feet and the shoes often don't get made wide enough. But it could just as easily be a shoe that is either too small or too big - both mistakes can cause it. So you're 100% right about the reason, especially since it happened on the downhills where you foot slides more. But it's quite a difficult one, considering that it sounds like you've already gone through about 3 pairs of shoes, all of which have done the same thing! It's unlikely to be the socks, and besides, if you do change them you might only succeed in replacing one problem with another...!

So what I would do is give the new shoes a bit of time to "soften up" - new shoes are quite stiff and hard and so when the foot moves around it can cause this. THat's why you might want to wear the shoes in a little more before taking them to the hills. Hopefully this will help. I'm tempted to say that it's not the SIZE of the shoe that's the problem, because your toenail grew back with your new shoes. So thereore, next option is the width of the shoe and maybe you need a particularly wide shoe next time you buy. Or possibly, you overcompensated from your old shoes (which maybe have been too small) and now you have shoes that are too big?

I'm guessing a bit, but I think what it will take is some time, some trial and error and hopefully you'll settle, the shoes will soften and the problem will be a thing of the past.

1
Posted by: postroom2 | 2009/01/26

toes l cart feel my toes there are like ice

Reply to postroom2