Question
Posted by: Odette | 2007/03/05

My thin 13 year old boy

I read your article on Weight Gaining - eating plan. Can I try this diet out on my 13 year old boy. His length is ± 1.56m and weight is 40kg's? He is deffinitely much lighter than the average boys in his group?
Odette Barnard

Dear Odette
It is possible that you son is close to his growth spurt which occurs slightly later in boys than in girls. According to international tables, boys of 13 should weigh about 41 kg and be about 14.8 m tall. Thus he is very tall for his age and should fill out later. If your lad is eating a healthy, balanced diet then it is not necessary to give him meal supplements at the moment. Rather give him a chance to carry on growing and make sure that he is eating plenty of healthy snacks (fresh and dried fruit, nuts, wholegrain cereals and bread, cheese, lean meat, yoghurt, etc) in addition to his normal meals. When he reaches the age of 14, he should weigh 45 kg and be 1,57 m tall.