Posted by: bronwyn | 2008/08/15

My teen and his school

I am a parent who is quite confused at the moment. I received a call from my son' s schools yesterday to inform me that he had been in a fight at school and that he attacked the other student with a sciccors, cutting the top of his eye open. My husband and I then met with the principal this morning and the reports that we go about my son' s behaviour shocked the both of us completely. It ranged from him making fun of teachers to switching off the schools main power supply during classes and then the incident that happened yesterday. We as parents are at our wit' s end because we do not know what our plan of action should be with this child because at home with us he is completely different to what his teachers described to be at school. At home is loving, helpful, respectful and is a child that most parents would probably dream of having in their home. So I hope that someone can give me some sort of advice on what I need to do and how I can handle this situation because right now I cannot even think straight.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

How alarming this must be for you ! Its puzzling that the teachers didn't contact you before now, as whatever these troubles are were building up for some time. As you note, the striking difference between his excellent conduct at home, and his bad behaviour at school is puzzling. Best bet would be to take him to see a good local psychologist ( maybe the school can recommend one ) depending on the boy's age, either a child psychologist who would be fine as they work with kids up into their teens, or an adult psychiatrist who would start with teemns and up.
There would appear to be a need for a proper expert assessment to discover what has been going wrong, which would provide the basis for planning what to do about it.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.