Question
Posted by: | 2018/05/16

Skin rejuvenation

my skin is dull mal-coloured, it has also deep spots and is looking unhealthy, i do not appreciate my skin's outlook, what food can i eat to rejuvenate my skin? and what else can help me to look after  i think my facial skin is too sensitive

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert
- 2018/05/24

Thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as ideally one would like to take a detailed history including what your current and past skin regime is, what your lifestyle is like and what current food groups you are eating. One would also need to examine the skin to determine the skin type and what the specific skin concerns are.

Sensitive and dull skin is usually a sign of the skin barrier not functioning correctly so going only on what you wrote my advice would be to take oral antioxidants (tablets or in the form of fruits) and to consider adding antioxidants to your skin regime. Numerous brands have added both Vitamin C and E to their products, so this would be your starting point. I would also look at a day and night moisturiser that contains hyaluronic acid, Glycerin and ceramides. The pigmented spots will also improve with the Vitamin C but a daily SPF 30 or higher should also be used irrespective of the weather.

I would also consider getting daily exercise (20 to 30 minutes of walking or similar) and reducing the amount of refined sugars and carbohydrates from your diet.

Ultimately you should see a dermatologist who can take a history and examine the skin before deciding on the best treatment options.

I hope the above has helped

Kind regards

Dr Alek Nikolic