Question
Posted by: SEXY SAM | 2008/05/21

MY SIZE

I HAVE HYPO THYROID. IM ON MEDICATION. DONT HAVE PROBLEM WITH IT. JUST WANT TO KNW WAT CAN I DO ABOUT
MY STOMACH IT IS OUT LIKE IM PREGANT. PLEASE HELP

Dear Sexy Sam
I can't work out if you protruding stomach is due to overweight or a condition like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)? But as you have an underactive thyroid, I will presume that it is caused by general or local weight. If you are generally overweight then it is essential to lose weight all round. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). If you do join a gym then ask the instructor to give you a set of exercises that target the tummy (e.g. sit-ups, etc) and do additional work on these problem areas. If this still does not help, then it may be necessary to consult a surgeon about a tummy tuck.