Question
Posted by: Felicia | 2007/05/24

My seven year old son.

My 7 year old son is behaving oodly lately. He becomes very angry at the smallest thing.He screams at us(mum & dad) and he backs away from his twin brother who has CP. He started grade 1 this year and everything was fine so far but recently he says that he doesnt have any friens but when I checked with his teacher she says he is very popular and that he always has friends around him. He doesnt eat well and is tearful almost all day or is just angry. Ive tried to speak to him but he just says that he is sad and angry and thats the way he wants to be! Ive tried playing with him and giving him more attention lately but the more attention I give him the more angrier and loud he becomes. Nothing has changed in our home or our lives that could bring about this change in him.I work a full day and he comes home at 2pm and is with the caregiver till 5pm wen we come home. The caregiver is with us from the time they were born. He stays at aftercare for about half an hour a day but he hates it. What could the matter be. Im worried sick and he seems to be slipping deeper into this depression or whatever it is day by day. I must also mention he was born very prem(at29 weeks) but suffered no medical problems.

Dear Felicia
You are describing what sounds like depression in a child - please take him for evaluation at a child psycologist or psychiatrist as he may need to use medication - this is sometimes not due to something that happened or that you or the school did, but an imbalance of serotonin etc in the brain.
Look on easyinfo.co.za under medical for one near you.