Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2004/10/01

My questions

We got to see the shrink about my dad. He said he was going to admit him for alcoholism,drug abuse and depression- for a week under his care. THey would have daily sessions and he'll get a gaestro specialist , do the gastr- scope , blood tests etc. Seeing that he hasn't drank any alcohol in 2 weeks - no need for detox. Will this be effective? He will then do follow up sessions thereafter. I asked about rehab and he said my dad won't agree to go there because of the type of people there - he might not take to it. Will cost R15 000 for 7 days...the latter isn't the point but will this work??? Is this the best type of treatment. Like I said my priority is my family - I just want my dad to get effective help but the above sounds too easy for me to believe it'll have some impact.

Hello desperate,
This sounds promising. And if in fact your dad hasn't drink alcohol for 2 weeks, on his own bat, that's promising, too. Sometimes when the damage caused by alcohol starts to catch up with someone, they may become usefully scared, and make that critically important switch of attitude that makes all the difference to success. Nobody can guarantee that any medical or psychological intervention WILL be effective, but this sounds so much more promising than anything he has been doing for so very long, doesn't it ? The follow-up is important --- it may be hard to stop drinking, but the critical thing is to stay stopped ! Some alcoholics just cannot face the idea that they're like other alcoholics, who they look down on, and will only cooperate with the treatment they need if it seems to be somehow different. Maybe in this first period of admission, they can help him to understand what this condition really is, what harm it has been doing to himself and the family, and the need to accept that alcholo henceforth is dangerous for him. Maybe he can start to think of support from programmes like AA, though that can work very well, but only in people who accept its process, and will be prepared to humble themselves and accept a position as just another alcoholic, known to the group only by first name, and unable to pull rank.
Sounds like a chance you can hardly afford for him not to take, considering how his drinking was affecting all of you.

1
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/01

It all depends on your dad's attitude towards this treatment, and what he has decided to do. If he is serious and wants to stop, and is committed to healing, then this can be beneficial, but if he is just doing it to please others or is being forced into it, then it might not be effective. These things work for some and not for others. No one knows for sure. I do believe that he has nothing to lose from such an experience, and even if he drinks again, he might learn something usefull which will help him if he decides to stop at a later time.

Reply to Chelle