Question
Posted by: Rhido | 2005/07/25

my problem of bad breath

dear Sir/Madam
I'm writing to you because my problem of bad breath is really messing up my life .the course that i am doing requires me to talk a lot,which i find it dificult.It doesn't matter how many times i brush my teeth,i have bad breath throughout the day and i have tried mouth-wash and chewing gum,but nothing helps.I cannot be near people because of bad smell coming through my nostrils.I have visited so many doctors ,but they say my teeth are health .People are taunting me, some are avoidingme and i have low self-esteem.Everywhere i go i feel like an outsider .I find it difficult to attend classes and to socialise or being in public.I have tried to commit suicide twice .I don't know what to do ,life is a nightmare.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Usually bad breath (halitosis) is caused by certain foods or substances that have been swallowed or inhaled, by tooth or gum disease or by the fermentation of food particles in the mouth. Odors from foods that contain volatile oils pass from the bloodstream into the lungs and are breathed out. Oral hygiene can't remove these odors.
Bad breath can be a symptom of certain diseases that affect the entire body such as liver disease (mousy odor), kidney failure (urine-like odor) and severe, uncontrolled diabetes makes the breath smell like nail polish remover (acetone). A lung abscess causes very severe halitosis. Bad breath usually isn't caused by problems of the intestine.
Halitosis can also be psychogenic in which case a person 'thinks' that his/her breath smells when actually it doesn't.
For treatment of a chronic post nasal drip consider using a mast-cell stabilizer such as a chromoglycate containing nasal spray (vividrin) , or ask your doctor to prescribe a suitable (steroid) nasal spray.
For the halitosis try using a antiseptic/antibacterial mouth wash such as betadine oral rinse or a chlorhexidine containing rinse.
Should none of this be effective you will have to return to your/another dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis.