Question
Posted by: Jacqui | 2007/12/03

My partner

My partner thinks that he may have problems with his prostate gland. He is 50, does almost no exercise, is obese - he weighs 135kg to his 1.82 height. Has a sweet tooth - no alcohol. Advocate. He is saying that his obesity may be linked to a possible prostate gland ploblem. He says that he needs to urinate more than usual. After eating his stomach is usually unsettled. I just think its due to him being terribly inactive and his love for sweet things. By the way, he is a closet eater. How do I approach this and what could be the problem?

Dear Jacqui
There is just one way of determining if it is in fact a prostate problem and that is to go for an digital examination and PSA blood test (he should by the way at his age do this every year at least to screen for prostate cancer)
The symptoms sound like it could be prostatism or enlarged prostate.
See this article on prostate cancer screening: http://www.prostatecancerfoundation.org/site/c.itIWK2OSG/b.47285/k.CCF1/Detection__Screening.htm
Try and get him to exercise more, even if you both go for a walk each day for 20-30 minutes.
He need not cut out all sweet things, but should eat this with moderation.
dr Bets