Question
Posted by: Lonestar | 2004/09/30

My opinion

Hi Paul and other regulars,

Now you do have a valid point and too much have happened the past two months, exactly why I would agree on a list with contacts. However, I am concerned and maybe if I sketch a scenario you would know where I come from...

1.) I voluntarily provide my docs details and personals etc. I feel down, yet not that down that I need to speak to my doc right away. Because people are different, they react differently and decide that my mild deppo state is no longer mild and phone up my doctor. The doctor can't get hold of me and phones my hubby. My hubby can't get hold of me and phones my parents....get the picture of the rippling effect. It often happens that I get dragged into meetings without prior notification and so the ripple expand sending my significant others on a wolf wolf cry.

2.) What if we have some "WACKO JACKO" (Like we had a few times now) who's sole purpose in life is to throw the boat over and create chaos between the regulars. Now these wackos provide false detail and post a false alarm on the forum, sending caring people on a wild goose hunt and indirectly directing the responsibility upon innocent individuals.

Don't get me wrong here, I am in favour of this, however I think that whoever will be responsible to initiate this, need to think carefully.

Lonestar thinking out of the box :-)

Dear Lonestar,
You raise some excellent points, and sow the value of out-of-the-box thinking ! Adding rules, such as a personal definition of crisis, and especially the requirement to try hard to contact the individual first, might help, but wouldn't avoid the problems raised here.
The risk of fake alarms may be the most significant. And from what I've seen the costs and problems atendant on trying to require all users of the forum to register, etc., would be prohibitive.

3
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/09/30

What I want to add to Lonestar's thoughts on this is also that anyone can post on here using anyone else's name. If the format of the forum was different, I think it might work. We have too many people here taking on other's nick names and abusing them.
There is someone who uses my nick from time to time. I just haven't given that person the pleasure of stating "That's NOT ME"!

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/09/30

Great thoughts Lone Star, & your concerns are very valid. AS you stated though, your details shall be submitted voluntarily, if you so wish, with possible rules attached. The amount of info supplied is up to you. & yes, I do agree that this service will be more workable around the regulars as opposed to those that make once-off, or once-in-while postings.

I think that anybody that considers this suggestion, act on it before their minds are changed. It is very important that the custodian's of this info behave responsibly with the information they have been supplied, I do agree.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Paul | 2004/09/30

Lonestar, all your points are very valid. Perhaps we should try and contact you first, via call or sms / and perhaps only after a suitable time escalate it to a spouse or a doctor? Then again the given time might be too long. Im not sure what the solution is but Im available either way.

Reply to Paul