Question
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/12/13

My older cats HATE my new kitten!! DESPERATE for help from anyone!!

i have 2 precious little female angels both just under 2 years old. One friday i found an abandoned kitten and immediatly took her to the vet. She had all her shots and was dewormed and everything. the vet said she is very healthy.

I took her home to met her New "sisters" and they hate each toehr!! Im so upset because i know this little kitten hasnt had a nice life so far and i dont want to disrupt the lives of my other 2 cats but i dont know what to do! they spent all weekend hissing and growling at each other and this little kitten doesnt back down. She hisses and growls just as much as the other two!

My one cat spent the whole weekend sleeping on the couch instead of on the bed with us.

We named the kitten Trouble cos thats what we were in when we got home. At the momnet i have to lock her in the bathroom when i go to work as i am afriad the other cats may attack and kill her!

Please tell me what i can do to help with this settling in process? The baby seems to have settled in fine and now ignores the others when they hiss at her, she runs around like she owns the place, but i desperatly want my older cats to love her like they love each other !! I have even thought about buying a water squirter and squirting the cat that hisses and growls even tho i thought this was cruel before, but im desperate!!

Someone please help me!!

Hi Buffs
One really never knows how existing cats will react to a new kitten. However it is unlikely that they will kill her. To give them the best chance I suggest that you introduce them very gradually and only allow the kitten into one room at a time for at least two weeks. This way the older cats will smell her presence slowly spreading around the home. At the same time you could use a towel or soft brush to brush all the cats so their scents mingle. Ideally you should introduce them with the kitten in a wire cage for 10 minutes a day, always giving the older cats lots of positive attention while you do this. You could try feeding them this way, giving the kitten its food in the cage and the cats their food outside the cage, but in the same room. Gradually they should get to know each other and you can open the cage and allow the kitten to explore. Don't use any form of punishment for now as the older cats may associate it with the new kitten and it will raise stress levels even more. Cats do take a long time to accept a newcomer, so be patient.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

5
Posted by: AnimalFreak | 2004/12/14

Don't get disillusioned. I have 7 cats and 3 dogs, and everytime we introduced another pet to the family, the resident pets were highly disgusted. Introducing a kitten is easier than introducing an adult, and I have mostly adopted adult cats. As long as the kitten keeps her distance and gives your cats space, they will accept her. Don't spray them if they hiss - it is natural, and spraying will just make them more aware that this intruder has upset their lives. Don't react when they hiss either. It is highly unlikely that your cats would kill the kitten - animals do not usually harm baby animals, even if they do seem to be mean to them. Good luck!

Reply to AnimalFreak
Posted by: Edge | 2004/12/13

In just a couple of days they will take to the new sister and embrace her. You will see ... trust me. I just brought two new kittens into the house about a month ago. And my older chrildren (male of 4 and female of 2) also had their noses out of joint a bit. The two new ones are also male and female respectively ... and now the males get along with the males and the girls with the girls ... after some hissing too. Be patient and relax.

Reply to Edge
Posted by: Jan | 2004/12/13

Yeah, I totally aggree. Just give them time and things will sort itself out...

Enjoy!

Reply to Jan
Posted by: Paul | 2004/12/13

Hey Buff's fancy seeing you here :).

Pi is sooo right, give it time, eventually they will realise that the other is here to stay and sort themselves out. I got mine 6 months apart and my girl was hissing and growling for a couple of months, now you must see the love.

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Pi | 2004/12/13

Give them time. My male cat took two weeks before accepting a new kitten in my house. Give them space to investigate the new kitten in their own time. I kept mine apart for a week and then started leaving the bedroom door open for him to investigate. After another week he figured her out and she became his best mate. Give them the same amount of attention as usual, they are just a bit annoyed with the "intruder" but will get over it.

Good luck, hope you can cope!

Reply to Pi