Question
Posted by: GG1 | 2009/01/22

My nephew is 10 and weighs about 75kg

Hello, my 10 year old nephew weighs about 75kg if not more. He eats continuously and is morbidly obese. His meals consist of mostly white bread, fried food, pasta loaded with cheese, biscuites, bananas, pizza etc. His mother blames him for his weight problem. This is obviously not the case. We need to do an intervention as this is affecting his health and he is very depressed. This cannot go on. Please advise me on where to go to get assistance with the intervention.

Dear GG1
How appalling. The poor child needs help ASAP, but the problem is that his parents need to instigate treatment for him. You, as his aunt or uncle cannot really take him for assessments or therapy. Talk to his mother and see if you cannot persuade her to take him to a physician. If she refuses you may be able to obtain assistance from your local social worker. I don't know where you live, but if you are in one of the larger centres you could also phone your local teaching hospital (e.g. the Red Cross Children's Hospital in Cape Town, or the Johannesburg General and ask to speak to the human nutrition department where you can find out what steps can be taken.
I am holding thumbs for all of you because this poor child is in urgent need of assistance before his gross obesity (he already weighs more than an adult man) makes him seriously ill.

2
Posted by: ANON | 2009/02/10

HI,SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT HIM,I KNOW HOW U FEEL,MY SON IS 7 AND ABOUT 60KG.i TOOK HIM TO DIETICIAN WHO GAVE US AN EATING PLAN BUT ITS NOT SO EASY TO EAT THE SAME THINGS EVERY OTHER DAY.WHAT DID HELP HIM WAS NO BREAD,ONLY COKE LIGHT OR SPRITE ZERO,NO SWEETS AND WEIGHLESS CHIPS OR BISCUITS.TRY GET HIM TO CYCLE,DANCE HOOLA HOOP,WALK,ANY MOVEMENT FOR AT LEAST 15 MINS ADAY TO START.ILL HAPPILY FORWARD YOU THE DIET PLAN IF YOU LIKE.

Reply to ANON
Posted by: bobo | 2009/01/23

by the book: Optimum Nutrition MAde easy by Patrick Holford. it is absolutely great. it has all the information you need regarding food and nutrition.

Reply to bobo