Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2003/03/04

My mother is going through menopause and is bleeding heavily

I'm very worried about my mother. She is 50 and she started going through menopause last year. For a few months now she has been complaining about very heavy bleeding that lasts for weeks at a time. She won't see a doctor because she says he'll make her have a hysterectomy and she cannot financially afford to be off work for six weeks. She also had breast cancer a few years ago and got a masectomy so she can't go onto HRT. Is this excessive bleeding normal? What should she do?And how long is one supposed to recover for after a hysterectomy?

The bleeding may well be related to hormonal changes of the menopause. However, at your mother's age, other causes of irregular bleeding, including cancer of the uterus should be excluded. You should encourage her to see a doctor.
The recovery period after hystercetomy is about six weeks.