Question
Posted by: Big Girl | 2007/03/19

My mom wont let me have a life!

Hello
Im 19 years old,almost 20. I have a stable job at a big corporate company,my own car,my own accounts to pay and a social life. Yet my mother refuses to let me move out?! And insists on making my life hell. Can she really keep my cooped up until Im 21? Do I have any rights to move out? Because if this is so Im going to hang myself!! I need to sart living my own life. Please advise!

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

you are legally entitled to move out of home when you are 18, not 21 which it used to be. but it is always preferable to do this with your parents blessing. many people wait because they cant afford to live away from the family home so soon. but if your mother wont listen to you and you are sure you can survive finacially out of the home there is nothing to stop you moving out.

5
Posted by: Big Girl | 2007/03/29

Hi All

Thanks for the advice. I just feel like Im obliged to stay at home untill Im 21 (or older) because if I move out, my mom will have no one. My dad died 11 years ago & she has chosen to be alone since. She lets me have some freedom but gets bitchy when I want to stay out later or at my boyfriends place. I would really like to move out but I dont know how to approach her? Any advise on how to do it without pissing her off too much?!

Reply to Big Girl
Posted by: Nikki | 2007/03/22

Just remember your mum loves you and maybe youre giving her reason not to let you go. I mean if you were a mature lady and know you`ll be able to handle living on your own then talk to her about it and prove it to her because I can tell you from experience that I had everything at the age of 20 but i did not disrespect my parents in any way and they let me go! Yes you are old enough but can you handle the pressure girl. I think your parents would know the answer to that. I bet you in a few years time you`ll thank them for pushing you to the limit because I know I am very thankful.

Reply to Nikki
Posted by: lile | 2007/03/22

Get away, parents who act like this are not loving, if they are making your life miserable. .. so my advice. you don't hurt someone you love, then were is the love
EXCAPE

Reply to lile
Posted by: Moove girl | 2007/03/20

You can legally move when you are 18 and older.

Reply to Moove girl
Posted by: Mahlomola | 2007/03/20

U are old enough to make your own choices, I think your mom is just afraid of loosing you, you need to sit her down and talk to her accomodate the era she comes from do not act with emotions.You don't have to stay there till you are 21, but you need to communicate with her in a way she unsderstands your reasons for wanting to stay by your-self teach her to trust you.

Reply to Mahlomola