Question
Posted by: Troubled | 2010/04/13

My mom has a problem

Hi there,
I have recently come to the conclusion that my mother has a gambling problem. I really want to help her but dont know where to start. She is ruining the relationships around her and after being estranged from her for a large part of my life I dont want to lose any more time with her now. This is causing problems for her now so I see it is a problem. When I bring it up she changes the subject. I dont know what to do. I love her so much and don''t want to lose her. She has been through so much and I fear she wont listen to me even if I tried. She has an addictive personality. I really want her to get help. How can I broach the subject of councelling with her and get her to go.
Many thanks

Such problem b ehaviour can come under control, but only when the person themselves recognizes that it is a problem and that they need help to control it. Tell her frankly what you have said here - that yopu love her so much and don't want to lose her, but that you see this problem as threatening her happiness and yours. And depending on how she gambles, if she goes to casinos, it is possible for them to check and if they see her as a problem gambler, they can ban her from their premises

1