Question
Posted by: Prilly | 2005/07/06

My Mom

Hi all,

The problem I have is with my mom. I worry about her and do not know how to help her. My mom is in a pit of depression and some people are making it worse. I want to help her get out of it, but do not know how. She does not think possitive anymore as she says that all the dreams she has had fell flat. She recently got devorsed, about a year ago, and has not been able to pick herself up. She is 51 and thinks that she cannot work much longer and worries about this. She gets along with all people, she is one of those people that will say hello to even a small child without knowing them. She does not have a pension or medical aid. Her work pays her maximum R2000 a month. I want to help her become the happy and bubly person I know she is, but when I try and chear her up all I get is negativity. HOW DO I HELP HER.

Any suggesions will help.

Prilly, you're obviously a nice and caring person, but you're not a shrink, and maybe if your mother really is in a severe depression, she needs to see a good local psychiatrist for assessment and a discussion of treatment options. Counselling, too, would help her to put the rest of her life, ahead, in order.

3
Posted by: KC | 2005/07/06

I dont know. My mom seems to have bounced back a bit after a bout of depression that lasted 13 years (when my dad left to marry her friend). She has attempted suicide dozens of times.

There is nothing to say to her. She is hurt and the best you can do is try to be supportive. That is the only advice i can give.

My mom has bounced back dozens of times, but something makes her slide back - an anniversary, a birthday, anything. I hope this time it lasts.

Just be supportive, try to keep her busy. Our parents depression is a big responsibility (sometimes burden) for us. When i leave her to alone, thats when she sinks deeper and deeper. So take her to a movie, the beach, things that make her happy.

Good luck.

Reply to KC
Posted by: Keli | 2005/07/06

What about her girlfriends.. You could organise a lunch party for her and her girlfirends (as a suprise). Assure her and tell her how much you love her and that you will always be there with her. You could also organise some councelling with her, maybe with your priest (if ur a christian) or a therapist.

It could also be that she is hurting and lonely and cannot discuss how she feels with you, as you are young and her child, so you could maybe get a mature someone to get to talk to her and get her to open up about how she is feeling. Good luck!

Reply to Keli
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/06

Pity you can't find some nice single gentleman to make her feel like a queen.

Reply to Joanne E