Posted by: DW | 2008/08/15

My miniature dachshund drinking too much water

Hi there,

I have a 12 year old miniature dachshund and in the last 3 months or so she has been drinking excessive quantities of water. Presently she is drinking up to 4 litres of water per day. This causes a problem of her urinating frequently during the day and night - In the house mostly at night (which is the annoying!).

I took her to see the vet, he did a blood sugar test - results well within limits. He also did a blood test for kidney function - which was also ok. He conclusion was basically that she was becoming greedy in her old age. He also suggested I we have an ultrasound scan done.

What also concerns me is that she is carrying a lot of extra weight because of all this water which isnt so great for her back.

She has started with a skin condition as well...her skin flakes and her hair falls out in clumps and she starts smelling within about 2 weeks of bathing her. Vet suggested half a teaspoon of oil to be added to her food...wasnt listening properly, does this sound right and what oil would I use?

I' m not sure what to do about her? I' m also hesitant to taking her to see another vet cause he might mention she needs to be put down :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Dear DW

Dogs should not drink more than 90ml of water per kg body weight. I suspect your dog is suffering from a disease called Cushings disease. Typical clinical signs drinking and weeing more, pot bellied appearance and skin getting thinner. Cushings is treatable but involves a lot of blood testing and monitoring in the initial stages. The first diagnostic blood test is called a ACTH stimulation test. Do a internet seach and you'll find plenty of info.