Question
Posted by: CP Mom | 2007/04/10

My lung decortation?

Maybe this is not related but I don't know where to turn...

I had phnemonia in Sept and was in hospital for 3 months. 3 operations (as it just got worse and worse and they could never quite get "everything") one had to be aborted because they could not get air into my lungs....I have a lot of pain ect but they said it would take up to 6 months.

I still suffer a lot, sometimes I lie on my side and turn and it feels like my lung takes 5 minutes extra to get to where it must be..and then it feels like it FALLS into place..in anycase my problem is that from my middle to my shoulder on the side of the operation I have no feeling on this skin, yet inside where the lung is it is very sore....When I cough of sneeze i want to die.

My boob on that side has started "leaking". First I saw some "stuff" on the nipple when I showered 3 mornings ago and then the 2nd morning I realized that somethings is wrong. I told my sister she then told me to squeeze it which I did and then there was clear liquid.

Last nite as I dressed and lifted my arm it was really sore...who do I go and see ?

The surgeon? The "internis" ? A GP? a Gynae?

Dear CP Mom
See a pulmonologist - they are physicians specializing in lungs - if needed he will have to ask a thorasic surgeon to have a look with him. Ask your GP to do a breast examination for you and to send you for a breast sonar if needed - this may be totally unrelated to the lung problem. Where do you live, maybe I can recommend someone?

6
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/03/13

Why do people refer to the dr's nationality? what does english fluency have to do with medical competency? It is plainly put DOWNRIGHT prejudiced and shortsighted, to refer to the dr as Romanian and hint at incompetence because of that. ...the sad thing is that if it was not his nationality that earned him that contempt-then it sounds like you lot would have found another reason, like his skin colour or ethnicity etc ,with which to criticize him. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Posted by: BARBARA | 2007/04/10

Hi CP Mom, I am so sorry to hear about your problem. I had exactly the same operation 7 years ago and I need to tell you some of the facts. I was in and out of hospital for 3 months, eventually I went to see a pulmonologist at the Wilgers hospital, Pretoria. He warned me that it was a very painful operation and that I could be in hospital anything from 2 weeks to 3 months depending on my recovery. Well I was in hospital for 12 days in all after the operation. What happened when I went home was that my left breast also started leaking, this cleared up after a while. The nurse who came to dress my wounds told me that it was because they had strapped my breast tightly against my chest during the operation to allow them maximum space to do what needed to be done and the operation had taken 5 hours. I can also tell you that what your doctor told you about the pain going on for 6 months is the absolute truth. Mine carried on for 2 years before I could say that I was totally pain free.

The numbness that you are experiencing is normal and will always be there. Mine is still there after 7 years, one learns to live with it eventually.

Please take it easy and rest as much as possible. It is a long recovery period and if you do not do as the doctor tells you you can look forward to an even longer period. PLEASE WATCH FOR ASTHMA SYMPTOMS E.G. SHORTNESS OF BREATH AND WHEEZING (SHOULD THIS HAPPEN CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY)

The pain you are feeling when lifting your arm is actually also normal. Remember they have had to cut through the muscles covering your ribs to get to the lung. Your ribs were also opened up and this takes a long long time to get better (, you will find that the muscles start cramping for no reason. Try bending toward the cramp it helps. For a long time after the operation I felt as though I had been hung up on meat hooks through my collar bones. This eventually also goes away.

I went into terrible depression from all the pain and weakness that I suffered and I want to tell you that if you need to get some medical help, DO IT!!!! You will be doing yourself and your family a huge favour. The depression is almost worse than the operation itself. Coughing and sneezing is agony. Try to sneeze by letting all the air through your mouth and not your nose. When coughing put a towel diagonally across your back high up on the side where the wound is this will also bring about a little relief.

I will be praying for you and please try to keep your spirits up.

Blessings
Barbara

Reply to BARBARA
Posted by: Nicolai | 2007/04/10

Hey CP Mom, sorry to hear all this. If I were you I would NOT go see the same surgeon! You need to know what is going on and in a lot of cases if the surgeon messed up he aint going to admit it. Rather get your file, xrays and what not, and get asap to a new gp and surgeon (especially if the Gp recommend the Romainian!). Dont leave it - it will only get worse. Good luck, I'm sure it will all come right.

Reply to Nicolai
Posted by: anxious | 2007/04/10

Oh my - and what about another surgeon's opinion? Are you still with G and how are the kids? How's Ne?

Reply to anxious
Posted by: CP MOM | 2007/04/10

He's a Romanian who can only say two words " I CUT"

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: anxious | 2007/04/10

CP Mom

My gosh I can't believe your are still suffering! This really sounds terrible! Surely the surgeon who did your op would be able to refer you to the right specialist if he can't help?!! I would try him first.

(H25)

Reply to anxious