Question
Posted by: Keli | 2005/07/19

My lovely Hands

I have an obssession with my hands and its starting to worry me. I make sure I wash my hands every 30 minutes, I have all sorts of hand creams in my office, handbag, car and at home. I also have waterless hand cleaners for instances where I cannot wash my hand. I have wetwipes in car, in case i'm driving and my hands become dirty. I am so conscious of what I touch, especially when I go to town or shopping malls. If I go somewhere, I would make sure that I rush home just to wash my hands. I avoid shaking peoples hands, especially men. If get a small cut, I panick, I'll put on a plaster, even if its not necessary to do so. I see it is getting worse and worse, my mom even made a comment that the best thing would be to cut of my hands to save me from all the trouble. Is this normal?

Sounds rather typical of an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, which responds very well, ideally to a combination of medication adn CBT-type psychological therapy, which could help you get the issue of risk into perspctive realistically, and feel much more comfortable. It's a bit beyond the normal, and must be really inconvenient.

8
Posted by: Orie | 2005/07/20

Far worse , some people keep their money in their bras and God knows where else . I think it;s probably even worse than just the lift buttons

Reply to Orie
Posted by: Lola | 2005/07/20

Joanne E and KEli, you guys don't touch lift buttons etc, but do any of you handle money? Have you any idea how many millions of grubby hands have tuoched your ten rand note in your purse?

Reply to Lola
Posted by: hound boy | 2005/07/19

studies have repeatedly shown that children reared in hyper clean environments are more likely to develope asthma

a little bit of germs is good for you, it excersizes your immune system.

go on...touch that thing thats been touched by another, it's good for you.

Reply to hound boy
Posted by: Keli | 2005/07/19

I'm just like you Joanne, I dont want germs to be passed on to me. Even the reason why I put the plasters, is basically to avoid germs coming into my blood through the open cut. I know this sounds stupid, that is why I am getting scared. What can I do to overcome this?

Today i went to a colleques office to help him with something on his PC. I couldnt wait to get out of that office to wash my hand as I'd touched his mouse, keypad etc. I felt so gross.

Reply to Keli
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/19

I think this one is a bit more than clean hands though - given the plaster bit, I think it is damage fear - like barbie streisand that has her hands insured!

I don't touch lift buttons, escalators, pedestrian crossing things, hate touching things that others have touched with dirty hands - but I am thinking toward people that cant wash hands passing germs onto me

Reply to Joanne E
Posted by: handy | 2005/07/19

Watch the movie

The Aviator... with Leo de caprio...(based on a true story)

he evenutally went phyico becoming obsessed with keepign his hands clean !!!!

Reply to handy
Posted by: geremy | 2005/07/19

You think you only get germs from your hands...???

The air, people walking past you, all the house hold germs that you cant see...

You cant "hide" go over board about germs ect it isnt good for you mental well being.

Yes be hygentic but do go over board here you are going to get germs even if you never touch anything again in your life.

Reply to geremy
Posted by: k | 2005/07/19

you have OCD, obssessive compulsive disorder......deal with that, one day you will wash your hands blood red and then your mom's words will come true

Reply to k