Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2005/05/31

My job is killing me

Dear CyberShrink,

I absolutely hate my job. I had a wonderful job three years ago, but then my husband got transferred from Johannesburg to another town and after searching for a job for seven months, I finally got my current job.

The salary is good (good for where we live now; I could earn twice as much in the city), but I have to do client services and I hate working with clients. I am so sick of having to listen to people's complaints day in and day out. I am in a lower position than I was three years ago and I also do not have any posibility for advancement. I do not have the patience nor the tolerance to work with clients. My colleagues have got what I call "small town mentality" - they don't question anything; they are to afraid to do anything; they are like sheep - just doing what they are told.

The problem is that since we live in a small town, work is very scarce. I could find a job, but then I would earn less than half of what I am earning now.

I don't know what to do. I am so depressed that sometimes I don't even want to get out of bed. Every day I wake up and wish that I could be sick, because then I could stay at home! The feelings about my work is spilling into my personal live. I wish away the weeks - just living for the weekends.

I have thought about starting my own business, but I have been doing administrative work my whole life and I don't have any special skills or a degree.

Sometimes I feel like I don't want to live anymore. Is it to much to ask to be happy in my job?

Sarah

Answered the other time you posted this question