Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2005/05/31

My job is killing me

Dear CyberShrink,

I absolutely hate my job. I had a wonderful job three years ago, but then my husband got transferred from Johannesburg to another town and after searching for a job for seven months, I finally got my current job.

The salary is good (good for where we live now; I could earn twice as much in the city), but I have to do client services and I hate working with clients. I am so sick of having to listen to people's complaints day in and day out. I am in a lower position than I was three years ago and I also do not have any posibility for advancement. I do not have the patience nor the tolerance to work with clients. My colleagues have got what I call "small town mentality" - they don't question anything; they are to afraid to do anything; they are like sheep - just doing what they are told.

The problem is that since we live in a small town, work is very scarce. I could find a job, but then I would earn less than half of what I am earning now.

I don't know what to do. I am so depressed that sometimes I don't even want to get out of bed. Every day I wake up and wish that I could be sick, because then I could stay at home! The feelings about my work is spilling into my personal live. I wish away the weeks - just living for the weekends.

I have thought about starting my own business, but I have been doing administrative work my whole life and I don't have any special skills or a degree.

Sometimes I feel like I don't want to live anymore. Is it to much to ask to be happy in my job?

Sarah

As people are bound to say to you, these days ANY job is a lot better than no job. It seems, in my experience as a customer, almost a requirement or work in "client services" that you should hate clients and despise their complaints. Have you thought that maybe your attitude and lack of interest has something to do with your lack of promotion and backsliding position ?
A job is quite largely what you choose to make of it. Have you tried getting interested in clients ( finding out more about who they are, what they do, what they need ) and in trying to treat their problems as you'd like someone to treat yours ?

2
Posted by: A | 2005/06/02

I am in the same situation. What I find helped me was to make the best of a bad job. Firstly I have changed my though process not to say anything bad to myself, or even thinking something negative. I applied for some other jobs, at this stage all the money in the world would not make me stay.

Reply to A
Posted by: Deubel | 2005/05/31

Yes, you got to start making friends with some of the clients. In every small town there are a couple of cliques. Find out about them and see where you will fit in best. That is if they would allow you to be one of them.

It could be a very interesting experience. The best part is that you could be friends with all the business owners and maybe there might be a possibility of starting your own business. Just watch out for the back-stabbing and remember everyone knows everything about you and your whereabouts although you might not think so.

Reply to Deubel