Question
Posted by: MMC | 2004/01/22

My Insulin levels are too high. What to do?

Dear Doc.

My husband & I are planning a family. After 15 months of trying to fall pregnant, and nothing happening, I went for a fasting insulin blood test. The results were that my insulin level is just over 5. What does that mean? My doctor has put me on Glucofage. This gives me constant diahorea. What kind of a diet should I be following?

Your advice would be appreciated.

MMC

Dear MMC
The higher insulin level is probably indicative of a degree of insulin resistance. I always advise all Readers who have insulin problems (diabetes or insulin resistance) to consult a clinical dietitian who will help you plan your diet and take the insulin resistance into account. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. Your diet will form a most important part of your treatment. You will require a low-fat diet based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Regular exercise also helps to control this condition, so think of joining Walk for Life or a good gym. If the Glucophage is giving you side-effects, then Please go back to the dr and tell him/her about this problem so that he/she can propose alternative treatment.