Question
Posted by: Sindy | 2004/09/30

my husband is hiv+ and he is drinking a lot, he had epilapsys fits

I want to know if the fits that my husband had, is it the development of the sickness or is it cuased by having a lot of alcohol? because i sent him to hospital after he had fits for the second time same day and they checked him they couldn't pick up the cause of that, they just asumed that may be is the abuse of alcohol, i don't know now about his cd4 counts, last time it was 350.

Sindy

Expert ImageHIV Peer Forum

He should have a brainscan

2
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/01

Your husband is going to kill himself by drinking accessively... get him help to stop.

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Sello | 2004/10/01

The HI virus is known to interfere with the nevours system causing neurological disorders

The disorder may be caused in predisposed individuals by:

any brain disease or injury such as perinatal or other traumas, infections such as meningitis (which is also seen in HIV patients)or encephalitis, vascular disease, degenerative disease, tumour, OR
abuse of alcohol, some drugs or other toxic substances. In developing countries many cases of epilepsy are related to preventable parasitic diseases, e.g. neurocysticercosis, malaria, schistosomiasis.

So in your husbands condition, use of alchohol could worsen the condition. He needs to stop drinking.

Reply to Sello