Question
Posted by: Sniffer | 2007/03/06

My home is a cat tray

Hi Cybervet. Please help. I got a persian kitten about 3 weeks ago. He was 16 weeks old then. I started off restricting him to one room with a litter tray etc. After a few days, I let him have the top floor of my townhouse and after a few days he had the run of the whole house. The problem is he poo's all over. Sometimes in his tray, most times not. He first picked a favourite place downstairs to poo under the stairs. I thought he couldnt get up the stairs. So there is a litter tray there. There is also a tray upstairs near his food. These two trays are not enough and for the last 2 days, he has started poo-ing under my daughters chest of drawers. But right across the hall is his clean tray. I am at my wits end as it is alot of cleaning up and smells disgusting. I have gone back to the begining now and shut him in my room upstairs with his food and cat tray. Where do I go from here ? I bought him that silicome litter. Maybe he doesnt like that ? Where-ever he messes, I clean with a solution of water and vinegar to neutralise the ammonia. But it does not deter him. Help. I am spending my life cleaning up after this kitten.

Yes start again and keep the litter tray far away from his food. When you allow him to move to an new space make sure you have trays in the new and the old place - neither near his food. Ther eis a deterant spray available from your vet - use it in the spots he has used as a toilet before to discourage him.

2
Posted by: Sniffer | 2007/03/07

Thanks Jax. Will buy some citronella. I have wooden floors so will wipe it in. I changed all the litter trays to normal gravel last night and he is now restricted to my bedroom while I am at work and when we go to bed. He was around the house last night in the garden and in the house while I was up and did his business in the downstairs cat tray. So far so good. I have also locked him out of my little girls room (all the time) as he has a favourite spot in there. I will keep up with routine for at least 2 weeks and am hoping he will keep to his litter boxes.

Reply to Sniffer
Posted by: jax | 2007/03/06

Change litter. Put normal litter in a couple of the trays, and the fine, clumping litter in others, and see if it helps. My one boy is very definite about not using the silicon, and all of them refuse to use the fine stuff.

Also, get some citronella oil, and splash a couple of drops wherever he messes. Not only will this put him totally off ever going near that spot, but as an extra benefit, it will smell nice to the humans in the family!

Good luck,
jax

Reply to jax