Question
Posted by: Angel | 2003/03/10

My guy friend won't accept a platonic friendship

For the last couple of weeks I have been going out of my mind. My best guy friend has been driving me crazy, because he wants something more than friendship as he believes we are meant to be together. I on the other hand am not attracted to him and cannot see him as anything more than a friend and have told him this countless times yet he still persists. I have told him how I feel but it doesn't seem to get him to back off, if anything it makes him more persistant. I am afraid that this wholle situation will ruin a fantastuc friendship - he is the only person who actually gives me the time of day. So what can I do to stop all of this bit keep my friendship with him at the same time?

Dear Angel,
If you've been spending some time out of your mind, this would be a good time to move back into it. One can't really blame the guy for becoming inconveniently fond of you. And if you have truly allowed the situation to arise in which no-one else gives you the time of day, it sounds as if the relationship has been pretty exclusive, and it's understandable that he has drawn the conclusions that he has.
It's not easy to persuade someone who is more romantically fond of you than you are of him, that he is expecting more than can be achieved. Clear communication and persistance may be what is needed.

1
Posted by: Angel | 2003/03/11

My main problem is that I have not led him on in any way and have told him from the word go that I cannot be anything more than a friend to him.but he thinks because I am so different from all of the other girls that he has known, that I am just something so fantastic that he cannot let an oppurtunity like this slide. What can I tell him to get him to get off my case because even though I've told him that this whole situation is hurting me, he believes the hurting will only stop once we are together and I just can't allow it to happen. What should I do?

Reply to Angel